Sunday, January 08, 2006

The ECGA 2006 Experience

01.08.2005 - I've slept as early as 9pm last night, but couldn't sleep for long. I got up the bed by 2:15AM and it must be the nature of my work for the reason why I'm up and about. Beside me from my slumber was Riker and he was also awake. The big guy wouldn't want me to leave the room. I picked up a copy of my Anansi Boys to continue where I had stopped from reading.

The entrance.

2:45am - I went down for my early moning snack. I couldn't stay long when Riker and Lei came calling. I was hoping to won't meow there way into calling me at 3AM in the morning. So I check the service are finding out that the food bowl was empty. Giving them fresh water and food I decided to stay and watch them eat. Lei has been sleeping the service are near the window all night. I haven't had time to train him into sleeping beside me. When he's around Riker ends up having the wrestling match with his wild cousin. I stayed until both have finished eating there early breakfast.

Inside the venue.

3:30AM - I went online just to check the blogsite and the PUSA message boards for some details regarding the event. I was suprised to find out that each exihibitor needs to pay a PhP 700.00 peso entry fee. I was not informed by Cheryl about the fees during our last conversation when she was inviting about this event. Well at first I thought this would turn out to be a disaster when I sent her a text message concerning the fee.

Lining up for registration.

5:30AM - Its about almost way past 5AM and I already finished all my online duties like updating about the upcoming event. I went to prepare myslef and had breakfast. By 6AM I went to church walking on my way I recieved the text mssage and confirmed that there was an entry fee of PhP 700.00 pesos. I was bit suprise about it due to that my budget is going beyond that, besides getting Riker to the vet to add up the new pet carrier. I almost spent my remaning money for this not to happen. I'm already part of the event I have no decision to back off. So after going to the mass I went to the nearest ATM and widrawn all the money that's left for me to survive the next paycheck.

The event's name.

7:35AM - I just got back from clearing my remaining budget. I guess this is about it. I'm broke for the next few days, and this going to be a little patience for me.

More view of the venue.

7:50AM - I went back to my room and decided to prepare Riker and had him go in the pet carrier. At first Lei was the first to jump in, but he's not the one who's going to be on the exihibit. Probably next time when he gets his vaccination shots, and well prepaired for it.

The major sponsor.

8:00AM - Riker's set and ready to go, and brought it food and water for him. I remember when the last time Catseyes accompanied me in bringing in the two boys from her place to my place. They where like dizzy and almost puked during the travel. So I took the yellow drinking bowl, and left Lei with food and fresh water for him.

The vet check-up.

8:10AM - All the way to the door Riker started to make loud meows. Well just like the time I took him to the vet he was crying. He doesn't know whats happening, but I guess he already have an idea that he's going somewhere. As scared as any cat who never get to see the outside world Riker is very afraid. He kept on reaching out the pet carrier to be hugged while walking to find a cab, that will take both of us to the event's venue.

Registration with the judges.

8:15AM - It was almost way past fifteen minutes and I'm carrying an eight pound cat, but there's no cab passing by and decided to go near where I work. While I was walking to the end of the street where I live a cab stopped and told the driver my destination. I took me less than thirty minutes to reach Robinsons Galleria without any traffic.

See the cages.

8:35AM - I went down the Ortigas entrance, but the guard told me that I have to walk back to the other side of the entrance. What a way to go finding out that I have to walk a few blocks from I where I got off. It was actually on the side, where the entrance that will take me down the basement level. So I proceed carrying the scared Riker. The escalators are off so I have to go four levels up until I reached the top most floor. I got in the venue and there where only a few people standing in line.

Judging starts.

8:45AM - I register Riker for the event but I didn't noticed that, the lady on the front desk did not issue me a receipt. As the other lady escorted me to the cage, where Riker will be place. The event looks festive and like on a very grand event. It must be since they said that this was an international event, that's very prestigious as what I've read online.

More cage views.

9:30AM - As I wait I look around and leave Riker in his cage, and bumped into an old friend. Remember the guy from PAWS? He's there with the rest of the staff to promote there organization, and has cats for adoption. Cheryl Beluan also arrived with here nine cats. Yes nine cats and that's alot right?

The event begins.

10:15AM - I also saw some people I met during the Cats on Purrade last October 2005. Crinkles was there and also Duke with his owner Rico "Chico" Lagbao the RX jock, who I knew before I got into this sort of event. I met Joseph a two-month owner of Sylvester a persian cat that has an attitude. He originally adopted the two and a half year old persian from Cheryl. Originally Joseph owns two pitbulls and a german sheperd, and its good have a conversation because I'm starting to get bored. They said that event will start soon, but that's not what I expected.

The event and organizer's banner.

11:20AM - When I was having a hard time putting Riker to his cage. He's really afraid for the first time being seen by other people. He has not moved a muscle, since I transferred him to that cage. Joesph in the other hand is having problems with Sylvester. The cat like I said has an attitude and a very familiar one compared to my other cat Lei. The announcer just paged me that I need to register Riker to be designated which breed and class will he be. So I bring him out of the cage, and quite a handful he was hugging me. His claws where clamping down my shoulder like a child.

Announcing the best kitten.

He was examined by the two german judges and trying to find out, where his origins are from. Personally Riker's breed is persian, since his grandmother George owned by Catseyes is half persian. So Riker is atleast have 25% percent of that, but the two germans have found his true breed. He was a Kurilian Island Bobtail originated from Russia. I sounded like that's impossible, and they told me all Kurilian cats have a rumpy tail as Riker would have. The colors are black and white not what I have described him in his info when I brought him to the vet. The judges where asking me if I have the pedigree or the mother of the cat. I yold them what I know, but they said that's impossible and I'm having minor communication with them. They don't exactly speak english clearly like the americans I talk to at work. I guess Riker's origin is a bit cleared out for, that he's a Kurile Island Bobtail.

The host talks about cats.

12:05PM - It was almost past noon when the event had started and people are coming in and out of the Galleria Trade Hall. I already met some of the cat owners with rare breeds. There's one cat which arrived 10 days ago from Canada. They said that he was the number four best cat in the world. Even his handler/owner was only here for the same days, and the word is that the cat might win the best of the best.

The crowd looks on.

1:10PM - Going through the first half of the event I was getting hungry. Catseyes and her cousin Duday are on there way. My sisters sent me a text message that they just left. They where almost done with the best kitten and they have not yet to arrive.

Catseyes arrives & hugs Riker.

1:25PM - Catseyes arrives with Duday in tow, and she has a present for dear old Riker. A new collar that has a little bell. He now looks like better now with that colorful collar, and his face didn't change. Not even a movement Riker stayed in the same position after I carried him back to his cage earlier. Like a frightened child Riker clings to the cage. Until Catseyes and I finally got him out, but immidiately jumped to her shoulders. His claws gripped her shoulders, and Duday was suprised to see him in a long time. She was very happy to see how he grew up. The brother of Mickey also owned by Catseyes.

The view of the place.

2:20PM - They already announced the best kitten edand its none other than Candy a four month-old american curl. The kitten that my friend from PAWS was too delighted to carry during the duration of the event. Actually that particular kitten has a sibling named Biscuit, but Candy was the one who adored the crowd. The event continues with the exotic category.

The Whiskas booth outside.

3:00PM - My sisters arrive with Lorn who adopted Tigger also from Catseyes. She was also excited about this event seeing Riker in his cage, and my sister was also there seeing the big furry. From the beginnign of the event the show was festive, and a bit boring with two hosts talking with nonsense. They've been talking for more than three hours trying to make the crowd lively. I guess Rico Lagbao also known as Chico Garcia of Monster Radio RX93.1 would make it more than that with Delamar.

The judges announce the next winner.

3:45PM - It was almost way past the afternoon when number 64 was called, and it was Riker. Pulling out of the cage was difficult, but its a good thing Catseyes manage to cut-off the pointed parts of his front claws. I carried him like a child clamping down my shoulders. He already cut me twice in the face. First in the chin and the second at the side of my head almost near my neck. I was like wrestling a tiger that weighs eight pounds. The judges examined him for the first round, and he's a feisty one, and I thought Lei was worse.

The winners are...

4:28PM - After the first round my sisters came, and I didn't notice Catseyes and Duday went to lunch. I haven't had one since I came earlier in the morning. So I left Riker with my sisters, and also before that the second round for him to be exmined by the judges are finished. I know he won't win anything, but that treat by Whiskas was good enough for him to go home with a food supply. So going back I went down and had lunch with them at Jollibee.

Sylvester's time to go home.

5:20PM - After lunch and all we went back to the event to see that they're already announcing the winners. A few people have left, and Joseph is one of them as early as 5PM. The lady photographer didn't stop clikcing and flicking her camera since the very start of the event. She must have a load of flashcards for her to use during the entire event.

6:050PM - They already announce the best house cat, and the event continues. The same with the unknown hosts of the event, and I'm getting anxious to going home, and they haven't released Riker's certificate being part of the event. I already spoke to Cheryl and promised me, that she'll send the certificate via postal mail. I decided to leave in a hurry knowing I have work also tonight.

Riker in his cage with a new collar.

6:32PM - Catseyes need to go home and I have work by 11PM. I dont' want to wait for the event to end, since she lives farther than me and travel will take her hours. Lorn, my sisters, with my nephew, and yours trully took the cab. Riker back to his carrier very tired and hungry had rested.

Manx Cats with Riker.

7:10PM - Finally got home and very much tired from the whole day event. I took Riker up to the service area, where his cousin Lei was waiting. It took him a few seconds before he got out of the pet carrier. He went straight to his usual hiding place. I gave them food and water as always and left them to feed. As former I went to bed just to take a 3 hour nap before going to work at 11PM. Regards to the overall personal comment of the event. For now I really need to get some shuteye.